I found the following analysis by Joel Rosenberg on the Iranian documentary “The Coming is Upon Us” fascinating and wanted to share it with all those interested in the subject:
A NEW IRANIAN FILM HIGHLIGHTS THE THREAT TO ISRAEL
In May, Israelis will celebrate the 63rd anniversary of the rebirth of the modern Jewish state even as forces are amassing in the region to wipe Israel off the face of the map. I will be in Israel at that time for the annual “Epicenter Conference” my colleagues and I organize and host. As part of our conference, we will show excerpts from a new feature-length documentary film, titled The Coming Is Upon Us, to hundreds of pastors, Christian ministry leaders, rabbis and lay people from Israel, the United States and around the world. Why? Because the film highlights in a unique way a grave and growing threat to Israel and the West.
The Coming Is Upon Us was brought to the attention of the West in April by Reza Kahlili, a former Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps officer who in the 1980s became a double agent for the Central Intelligence Agency working against Iran. Kahlili, who recently published a must-read book about his experiences in the CIA called A Time To Betray, obtained a copy of the film from his sources inside Iran. He gave a copy to the Christian Broadcasting Network, which broke the story. To their credit, Fox News, the Drudge Report, Glenn Beck and others quickly picked up the story and alerted millions of Americans to the disturbing film. Still, more must be done.
The Coming Is Upon Us is significant for several reasons:
- The film provides the most recent and up-to-date description of the beliefs held by Shia Muslims known as “Twelvers” that the so-called Islamic messiah known as the “Twelfth Imam” or the “Mahdi” will soon appear on Earth to usher in or oversee the destruction of Israel, the establishment of an Islamic caliphate (kingdom), and the End of Days.
- The film explains why Shia leaders see the recent wars, revolutions and uprisings in Iraq, Egypt, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and elsewhere throughout the Middle East and North Africa as prophetic signs consistent with Islamic End Times teachings, and further proof that the Twelfth Imam is coming soon.
- The film identifies for the first time that Iran’s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad are specific End Times figures foretold in Shia Islamic prophecies.
- The film has been screened and approved at the highest levels of Iranian government, indicating that Khamenei and Ahmadinejad approve of their depiction as End Times figures and believe their eschatology is being vindicated by current events in the Middle East. If this is accurate, it would provide further explanation as to why Iran’s top leaders feel emboldened to resist honest negotiations with the West and are determined to continue developing nuclear weapons and long-range ballistic missiles, both of which directly threaten Israel, America and Western allies and interests.
- The film has been screened throughout Iran for military officers and soldiers as well as for paramilitary units. This, too, suggests that Iran’s leaders are trying to prepare their forces for a steadily approaching apocalyptic, genocidal war against Israel, the United States and the West and to encourage them not to fear because, in their view, Shia Muslims are on the winning side of history.
- The film is being translated from Farsi (the language of Iran) to Arabic, suggesting that it will soon be shown and distributed throughout the broader Middle East and North Africa to prepare other Muslims — Sunni and Shia – to join Iran in a genocidal war with Israel and the West.
As an evangelical Christian who believes in the Bible, not the Qur’an, I see the film as full of false teaching (the Twelfth Imam is not the true Messiah, cannot save mankind and will not set up a global Islamic kingdom), delivered by false teachers (Iranian clerics), who follow a false religion (Islam). However, the film is useful in that it is further evidence that Christ was correct when He warned His disciples in Matthew 24 and Luke 21 that “false messiahs” and “false prophets” will come in the last days before Christ’s own return. Indeed, while we can’t know for certain that a false Islamic messiah known as the Twelfth Imam is actually coming at all — much less “soon” — we should recognize that this is possible, it would be a fulfillment of Bible prophecy, it would lead to much deception in the world, and would need to be countered with great courage and wisdom by faithful followers of Jesus Christ teaching directly from the Bible.
Despite the poor production values of the film, The Coming Is Upon Us provides a window into the minds of the men running Iran’s brutal and tyrannical regime. Western intelligence agencies and policy-makes would be wise to watch the film and carefully analyze how Shia End Times theology is currently driving Iranian foreign policy and posing a clear and present danger to Israel, America and the West.
Joel C. Rosenberg (www.joelrosenberg.com) is the author of eight New York Times best-selling books, including his latest novel, The Twelfth Imam, and his latest non-fiction book, Inside The Revolution. He is also the host of the annual Epicenter Conference (www.epicenterconference.com).
Watch the Film here: The Coming is Upon Us